Are you considering installing truck ladder racks? This is a perfect move that will increase the utility of your vehicle. It helps you increase the carrying capacity of your vehicle. However, it comes with the dangers of safety to the driver and other road users if the decision is not well thought. To avoid mishaps on the road, there are certain elements you need to consider when installing and using the ladder racks.
- Size of the rack- it is mainly determined by the dimensions of your vehicle. The rack is usually designed to be of equal size with the cabin of your truck. There are transport safety requirements on how wide the ladder rack can go. Consult the garage where the installation will be done to ensure that you get proper dimensions.
- The design of your truck ladder racks– there are numerous creative ways to design your ladder rack. This will mainly be determined by the ladders you intend to carry. For instance, if they are a few ladders, the size of the top section may be reduced so that the rack is stylish. Where you need to carry more ladders, you need a design that can comfortably accommodate any number of ladders. The design will also affect the positioning of your ladders during transportation.
- Material to use- ladder racks come in a variety of materials including steel, iron and aluminum. There are synthetic materials as well used in manufacturing the ladders. The strength of the material used determines the weight a rack can carry. Steel can hold several relatively heavy ladders while lighter materials like aluminum can only be used if the ladders being transported are equally light. Using the wrong material, and especially the light variety, exposes you and other road users to accidents, injuries and property damage.
- With it be permanently attached or removable? The choice between permanent attachment and temporary depends on how you intend to use the truck. You have more options when you attach the racks temporarily because you can remove them and perform other errands. However, if the once you attach them permanently, your choices are limited. If you have the option of detaching, consider it because it gives you a leeway to use your truck for other purposes.
- Maintenance- for ladder racks to perform effectively throughout their lifespan, they must be maintained well. Choose a material and design that is easy to maintain. This means protection from corrosion and damage by such elements as the rain and direct sun. Check on the racks constantly to ensure that they remain firm and functional.
The safety of your ladder racks is very important especially when on motion. Other than damaging your vehicle, they are likely to injure people on the road, destroy the items being ferried and cause accidents on the road. This will increase your cost of production and may affect your insurance. It is upon you to take necessary safety measures when using the racks on your vehicle. Here are tips that guarantee a safe use of rack on your vehicle.
- Professional installation- remember that the racks will be used on a vehicle that is in motion. Any mistake with installation will lead to damages, injuries and traffic accidents. This will also affect your insurance. To avoid such mishaps ensure that installation is done by a professional. Experienced mechanics understand the aerodynamic issues that guide addition of elements on vehicles. They will ensure that your racks are appropriately installed.
- Not for heavy duty use- the racks are not meant to carry additional tones. The purpose is to make it easy to haul ladders which are light in weight. Manufacturers specify the maximum weight to be carried. Stick to these instructions to avoid compromising on your life and that of other road users.
- Appropriate size- if you are to venture to the road with racks over your truck, they must be of appropriate size and design. Any violation of set rules will be a recipe for disaster. It may cause collision or obstruction of other road users.
The safest installation and use of truck ladder racks is where laid down rules, and especially on safety, are followed. Enlist the services of a professional ladder rack installer who will guide you on the best choices to make. Remember that the safety of your vehicle, cargo being hauled and other road users depends on the decision you make. Choose racks that will help you meet your hauling needs without endangering property or the lives of other road users.